EDI projects require a wide variety of specialized knowledge. In our glossary, we provide answers to most of the terms you may encounter in your EDI project.
E-mail is an especially important mode of external data exchange for B2B of small and medium-sized enterprises, for example for online purchasing or selling. E-mail requests, e-mail newsletters, and electronic advertisements have become standard procedures.
All e-mail functions - native on System i
i‑effect® *EMAIL is a native IBM i application for sending and receiving emails on IBM Power Systems. i‑effect® sends and receives all IBM i objects, such as spooled files, ZIP archives, IFS, and DB/2 files, as well as the dispatch of MIME attachments to a user-defined number of (copy) recipients. In combination with i‑effect® *SPOOL, you can convert spool files into PDF and all common PC and graphic formats, and e-mail them to external business partners or to internal departments with any SMTP mail server directly afterwards.
IBM Power Systems program objects can be sent as backup files (SAVF) to external IBM Power Systems as an attachment and are easily recovered on the recipient‘s system.
Security and Archiving
In combination with the i‑effect® *ZIP und *CRYPT modules, data can be compressed before transmission, encrypted according to the AES standard, and stored using minimum space. All incoming and outgoing e-mails can be retrieved and read from the directory, according to regulations, at any time.
Automation for Clear E-mail Organization
All i‑effect® functions can be menu-controlled or completely automated with the *SERVER module and integrated in your existing workflow. You can run all E-mail processes according to a preset schedule or events. Regular and time-sensitive transmission tasks are guaranteed, even if a staff shortage occurs.
- Native IBM application
- Sending and receiving e-mails with any SMTP mail server and POP3/IMAP mail server
- Support of all IBM Power Systems files (spooled files, ZIP archive files, IFS and DB/2 files)
- Any number of recipients, copy-recipients and attachments
- Support of MIME encoded attachments
- Automatic decryption of files attachments and texts and saving in IFS directory
- RFC1522 compatibility
- CCSID, encoding and DBCS support for international sending of e-mails which include special characters, DBCS characters and umlauts
- Exclusion and saving of inline body text
- Retrieve of any POP3 e-mail account directly on the IBM Power System (native POP3 client)
- Logbook with selective processing of saved e-mails and attachments